Thursday, April 22, 2010

run down, defeat and a dash of spring fever

I didn't feel encouraged last night until after the workout when I was surrounded by my friends who, even in the midst of my physical struggles during training, they tell me that I can do it. They've seen the progress, the work and the ambition, but when I'm in the middle of the pool and feel like drowning, those voices and all the hard work I've put in seems to go away when I'm struggling that much.

This is not about defeat, it's about the limitations of the human body. And I'm ok with the fact that my limitations are different than others, but I hit a wall last night. I don't know if it was because my mind was, what it seemed like, in an entirely different place and I couldn't focus on what was in front of me. The fact that my mom had surgery or that 2 kids at my school broke an arm and a finger within 2 hours of each other, well let's not get into all the other stuff that was probably filling up my brain last night while in the pool that made me feel like I weighed 200 pounds while in the pool...sigh.

Enough rambling, today is a new day. It's raining and let's be honest, spending so much time in Georgia, running in the rain is in my top 5 things I love to do. No iPod, no music, just me, my spandex and the rain pouring down...oh not to mention sopping wet shoes and the hot shower I get to take after the run. April showers, you are precious to me...with or without a rain jacket. Speaking of running, I'm going to Moab today with several others and although I don't mountain bike (as it is the mountain biking capital for those west, and for that matter, east of the Mississippi), I wonder why exactly it is that I'm going. My sweet roommate today reminded me that there are several terrific trails to run down, to go spend time in Arches National Park and well Laura and I will spend quite some time painting while we are there. Looking for that inspiration that takes me out of my Boulder self and takes me somewhere new. New trails, new adventures...if only for the weekend. I think it will be good for training purposes to shake it up a bit, get out of Boulder, and just have fun. Get back in touch with some of the reasons why I'm doing this race and spend time with some outrageously genuine and funny people.

be my potter and i'll be Your clay. mold me and make me something beautiful for You.

No comments:

Post a Comment