Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Triathlon Training

I'm taking this triathlon training class at the Y and am so excited about it. I'm pretty sure for the next four months this is mostly what I'm going to be writing about...whether it's the workout, the challenges, the the meals I prepare, the joys and funny stories...whatever it may be, I just want to document the whole training process.

Here I am, 146 pounds, not very strong or having tremendous endurance, but I'm so excited about this triathlon, the journey, and the new friends I'll be training with. It's going to be one adventurous and bumpy ride.

Monday night was our class time--we talked to a massage therapist about the benefits of getting massages regularly through the training process...ummm, yes please! Sign me up. When they talk about sports massages, it's like they are talking about **actual** athletes, not amateurs who are just trying to finish my first triathlon...well whatever, I'm still looking forward to this massage when I'm all sore and tired from training.

I also thought I was an ok swimmer, I can keep my head above water, do flip turns, kick and breathe all at the same time...incredible. Oh, but last night we had a workout from one of the lifeguards that just proved to me how much work my stroke actually needs, you don't realize all the technical elements of swimming until you have someone to point out all the wrong you are doing. Not pulling enough with my stroke...so we put on this "parachute" thing and used the buoy to to pull and well, without fail, I realized how slow I was moving because I don't use my arms as efficiently as I could be...Well that's one leg of the triathlon that I'm going to be working on for quite some time...probably the next four months.

Oh I'm also, just to encourage myself going to be checking with weight changes, BMI changes, nutrition, etc. Stay tuned, it's going to be a wild ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment