Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Pray for Haiti

I began to be drawn into the country of Haiti about three years ago. I think about this place often, reading books, and praying that one day I'll be able to go and serve on a medical team in a country where poverty and disease kills.

Tuesday, horror struck in the form of an earthquake. I'm sick to my stomach when I think about the faces, the children, the people that are there, looking for their loved ones, people that are still stuck beneath rubble, crying for mercy and help. Hymns being sung in the streets.

Pray. Pray for this country. Pray for the people. The uncertainty. The suffering. The loss. The people that are able to serve, to heal, and to help. I think about the schools, hospitals, buildings that have been destroyed. It has become one big triage unit. 3 million affected and thousands, hundreds of thousands killed. I'm terrified. I wish I could be there; change places with someone. Be the hands and feet to someone who needs it. I pray for the people that were already down there and have been committed to this country for a long time. I think about Partners in Health, where almost 30 years ago they saw the first case of HIV and have been working tirelessly to care for the poorest of the poor in Port Au Prince. I pray that they will not cease in their efforts when something that is out of control happens. I pray for diligence and obedience, and that the world's compassion would cover this country. I've received countless emails about aid to be sent down. I pray for Red Cross workers that are there and that supplies, from water to medical supplies, to food, to the strength of people that can rescue those that are still beneath the rubble of school buildings and hospitals. I don't always know how to respond to this, but God, I know that you are more powerful than a 7.0 earthquake.

Pray for Haiti.

http://www.pih.org/home.html

No comments:

Post a Comment